Tompkins Solutions’ Material Handling Integration Department is responsible for the design, specification, implementation and commissioning of Material Handling Systems for our customers. In this position you will be responsible for executing the design, integration, testing and commissioning of the entire Material Handling System solution. The Sr. Controls Engineer works closely with the System Architect, Applications Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Software Engineer, subcontractors, and the team’s project manager throughout the life cycle of the project.
Essential Job Functions:
- Executing projects from conception through client handover with a positive contribution on technical performance, financial results, and the organization.
- Executing the control systems from system design, system integration, testing, and commissioning to include customer hand over.
- Responsible for the development of PLC programs to automate our Material Handling Systems.
- Write Controls Functional Specification / Description of Operation.
- Write Equipment Specifications for vendor selection process.
- Write Detailed Design documents (i.e., Controls Architecture).
- Write and execute test plans
- Realization of complex controls applications and subsystems, based on user requirements and functional specification.
- Sets independently controls systems in operation according to commissioning plan in consultation with the site supervisor and project controls leader.
- Understanding, interpreting, and following applicable procedures, standards, and regulations
- Work closely with clients and subcontractors.
- Communicating and working closely with other groups within Company and the project team (i.e., mechanical engineering, software engineering, project management, supply chain, sales/proposal department and installation)
- Identifying, initiating, and implementing improvement activities
- Proposing technical solutions of complex and multidisciplinary problems to the Project Lead and Engineering Manager, give input to the technical roadmap for the department.
- Technical proficiency with industry computer-based software such as AutoCAD.
- VFD application, programming, and troubleshooting.
- Troubleshooting of automated material handling equipment (motors, scanners, VFDs, photo eyes, encoders and other electrical control equipment
- B.S. in a technical discipline (EE, EET, or equivalent experience) with 7 to 10 years of experience.
- Proven skills in Scada (HMI) systems, Controls Design or Software Engineering.
- Successful Completion of at least (2) large scale MHI Solutions Projects.
- Aptitude for understanding the mechanical operation of equipment.
- Ability to quickly assess a situation and take appropriate action.
- Proactive and hands on work ethic.
- Strong team-oriented mentality and acceptance of responsibility for project completion.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written skills.
- Self-motivated with proven ability in problem solving, especially in intense situations.
- Ability to work in a team of engineers and take the technical lead.
- Knowledge of controls engineering theories and principles.
- Electrical aptitude and knowledge of acceptable practices, techniques, and codes.
- Knowledge of UL-508 requirements, and NFPA 79.
- Proven skills in understanding and designing PLC programs and industrial networks (i.e., Ethernet, TCP/IP, ProfiNet, Profibus, DeviceNet).
- Willingness to travel up to an average of 40%